THE COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF THE CONGRESS OF THE NIGERIA UNION OF JOURNALISTS (NUJ), ONDO STATE COUNCIL, HELD ON THURSDAY NOVEMBER 26TH, 2020 AT THE PRESS CENTRE, ALAGBAKA, AKURE
After extensive deliberations by members, the following decisions were taken as follows:
- That the Congress expresses deep concern over spate of killings and kidnapping on highways in Ondo state especially Thursday’s gruesome elimination of a First Class Monarch, calling on Amotekun Corps and other security agencies to intensify efforts to get rid of criminal elements terrorising the state.
- That the Union demands immediate arrest and Prosecution of those responsible for the killing of the monarch, advising the Nigerian Army to carry out another special raid of forests in and around Owo/Ose and Akoko areas of the state.
- That the policemen should get back to work in Ondo state and discharge their duties with utmost professionalism; improving on their synergy with the general public.
- That Ondo NUJ members should ensure the success of the 2020 Press Week Celebration slated for Sunday 13 — Friday 18 December, 2020.
- That Ondo NUJ frowns at continous delay in distributing Pre-paid meters to residents of Ondo state as directed by President Muhammadu Buhari, charging BEDC to fulfill its pledge in this regard to reduce the cases of estimated billing of electricity consumers in the state.
- That the Union appeals to the state government to invest and revamp the State Fire Agency to enable it prevent recurring and indiscriminate lost property worth billions of naira to inferno across the state.
- That the Congress commends the ondo state government for the ongoing radio and television e-learning for pupils in the state and urges the stakeholders to sustain the policy.
- That the Ondo state government should act fast to protect elite status of the state football clubs (SUNSHINE STARS & SUNSHINE QUEENS) and give priority to Sports development as a way of empowering youths in the state.
COMMUNIQUÉ DRAFTING COMMITTEE:
- Mary Agidi (Owena Press Chapel).
- Oluwaseun Akingboye (Correspondents’Chapel)
- Kayode Animasaun (FRCN Positive FM Chapel)
Leke Adegbite ,